Sunday, January 29, 2012

christmas cookies

I've been admiring the amazing and very creative paper pieced quilt blocks popping up on Flickr from different Bee groups. Some of my favourites are Ringo Pie, Cocorico and Patchwork 318 (be sure to go check them out!).
I've paper pieced my Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks from foundation patterns, but that's about it.
So I was surprised but very happy when I was invited to join the Cocorico Bee!

My initial excitement turned to panic when I tried to plan my first block and realised how hard it was! I was feeling very out of my depth. I almost gave up because I really didn't want to be sending out blocks that were way below the standards of everyone else in the group. I'm very glad I didn't, because I've already learned so much and it was exciting to see my own design come to life as it was sewn together. The Cocorico girls are such lovely, supportive people with lots of helpful advice and tutorials to share.

So here is my first block! January was Melinda's month and she requested 'Vintage Christmas' themed blocks. Of course my first thought was cookies :)
And now on to the next one! February is a Pippi Longstocking block for Muriel. Stay tuned for that one.....

3 comments:

  1. Your block is fantastic! Everything about it is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erin! I love your Rudolph block too. Now, what to do for Pippi?!!

      Delete
  2. I had seen this sweet block on flickr, but didn't realize this was your first paper-pieced design -- wow! I am really impressed!! You should feel really proud of yourself. I am off to explore your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete